Vocal Massage and Laryngeal Manual Therapist Kate Valentine is today’s guest. Kate, who runs her own treatment space called Valentine Voice Care, discusses how to spot the signs your student may have vocal health issues and how to prevent vocal injury.
- Whilst enjoying a successful career as a principal artist on the international operatic stage, Kate sustained a vocal injury: a career-defining moment which sparked a fascination with vocal health, rehabilitation, and the long-term benefits of manual therapy for voice.
- Kate noticed that, among other things, she was having to take a long time to fully recover after a vocal performance. That is a red flag that singing teacher’s can easily identify.
- Kate’s onboarding process involves asking a lot of questions so she gets to know people and their voices as well as she can. It’s so important to make students aware of their own voice because then they can identify the problems.
- As well as running Valentine Voice Care treatment spaces in Seaford and Glasgow, and managing a busy client list including English National Opera, the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Scottish Opera, Glyndebourne Festival Opera, Voces8, The Dunedin Consort, Kate also works with two multidisciplinary voice teams: the Voice Care Centre (London) and Clyde Consulting Rooms (Glasgow).
‘I used to just throw myself in without any real knowledge of what I was doing’
‘We coexist with our voice in our body’
‘I was frustrated because I could see things getting away from me’
- Facebook: fb.me/valentinevoicecare
- Instagram: @valentinevoicecare
Relevant Links & Mentions:
- Voice Care Centre: voicecarecentre.co.uk
- Voice Care Centre – Vocal Massage Training: voicecarecentre.co.uk/vocal-massage-training
- Clyde Consulting Rooms: clydeconsultingrooms.com
- Singing Teachers Talk Podcast: Ep. 32 – The Bio-Psycho-Social Model with Stephen King: open.spotify.com/episode/4R13bvilWjwQnd9WOfTiVc?si=f5b789d3500e4cef
- Help Musicians UK: helpmusicians.org.uk
- The Royal Society of Musicians: rsmgb.org
- Line Hilton (Burnout): (Instagram) @linehilton & (website) linehilton.com
- Contact Kate Valentine: email@example.com
ABOUT THE GUEST
Kate Valentine specialises in Vocal Health and Injury Prevention for singers, Vocal Massage and Laryngeal Manual Therapy. A passionate ambassador for vocal health, it is her mission to help remove the mystery and stigma surrounding vocal well-being and injury, and to provide a safe space for clients to support them with their careers.