20-Hour Course Description
The BAST 20-Hour course will introduce you to the fundamentals of being a great singing teacher followed by 12 months free education and support through the BAST Membership.
On this course, you will cover:
- basic anatomy and physiology of the voice and respiratory system as it pertains to singing
- assessing and managing the voice
- intro to vocal science
- common vocal technique issues in singers
- teaching and learning styles
- the ‘tools of the trade’ –sounds, scales, instruction, etc
- application into song
- giving the first lesson
- lesson planning
- keeping students motivated
- vocal health advice for singers
- setting up your studio
- getting your business started
- finding students
Yup, we’ve thought of pretty much everything!
I attended the BAST intensive course with 4 of my fellow Voiceworks teachers and I will be recommending that all teachers at Voiceworks Studio complete this course as soon as possible. Gemma Sugrue, Director, Voiceworks Studio (Ireland)
Length of course
20 hours – 10 x 2-hour classes either in person or virtually.
To get the student teacher to a place where they feel comfortable and equipped to start teaching one-to-one singing lessons.
Lectures, interactive practical exercises, Q&A, discussion. The class is recorded and the presentations, audio, and weekly resources will be made available for download by the student.
- Basic anatomy and physiology of the larynx and respiratory system
- Teaching and learning styles, goals and methods
- Teaching tools – sounds, scales and instruction
- Assessment – body, and voice (spoken and sung)
- Acquiring a history
- Voice classifications
- Vocal registers
- The transition between vocal registers
- Diagnosing the voice (spoken and sung)
- Vowels and consonants
- Intro to formants and harmonics
- Vowel tuning
- Vocal exercises – The what, how, when
- Application into song
- Learning styles and teaching strategies
- Considerations in teaching children, teens, adults and the elderly
- Motivating students and your self
- Vocal pathology
- Vocal health advice
- Setting up your studio
- Good business practices
- How to market your service
Told you – this course is packed with goodies!
Putting it all into practice. Most weeks there will be a practical application segment in the lesson applying the theory learned that day. During the course the teacher and students will work on each other. If the BAST Trainer deems it necessary or a ‘guinea pig’ student may be brought in for practice and demonstration purposes.
We encourage self-study. You are an adult and we hope that you will put in the work required to get good at this job. There is only so much we can do in 2 hours a week, so the rest is up to you. Each week has an accompanying Pop Quiz and we have tons of suggested self-study activities and reading to recommend between classes.
Resources and references are available at the end of every class presentation.
There is no formal assessment made on this course (yet…). Your BAST Trainer will be making an ongoing evaluation and will guide and advise individuals as to the areas they need further work on as well as where they may be able to gain further skills or knowledge if appropriate.
BAST not only gave me the confidence that I could provide informed, fun and successful singing lessons, but infused me with a passion to delve deeper into the vocal chasm. Alexa Terry (UK)
You will receive:
- an attractive Certificate of Attendance signed by your BAST Trainer (minimum 90% attendance)
- 12 months Free BAST Membership where you can meet previous BAST grads, attend a monthly Troubleshooting Clinic with a BAST Trainer, gain free access to past and future monthly guest expert webinars & training videos, connect with other singing teachers, get discounts off BAST and partner events, products and resources, 1 year Free iSing Magazine Membership and access to all the trainers for advice and support PLUS more.
- Invitation to join the BAST Facebook Singing Teacher’s Members Group
- first notification of future BAST educational events