Justin Stoney is the founder of New York Vocal Coaching, developer of the NYVC Voice Teacher Training Program, and author of the award-winning book Sing Like Never Before. His clients have included Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award-winning artists, and now he joins Alexa on this week’s Singing Teachers Talk. Find out about his incredible story of finding his way into teaching and get some great tips on creating content.
- Justin had only just got to New York and was about to go into an audition when he was asked to play piano for another audition that was happening. He ended up playing accompaniment for one of the best casting directors on Broadway who told him he had what it takes to be a great singing teacher.
- We all learn in different ways, it’s about finding out what works best for each individual. Some people learn by playing games and others learn by learning the science and the technical theories.
- Justin alters his method for each person and works with them to find their own path to learning. He doesn’t expect everyone to practice all day, people have their own lives and his vocal studio is a safe space for them to come and sing, not feel guilty. If an hour’s practice at home is too much, then spend 10 minutes practising your favourite song whenever you can fit it in.
- Voice Lessons to the World started on YouTube as a way for Justin to give back to the vocal community and those who might not be able to access the resources he had. He found a lot of online content was sometimes misleading and wanted to combat this.
- Justin doesn’t see his success as a vocal coach as a result of his YouTube channel, in fact it’s the other way around – his success allowed him to give back with the free online lessons.
‘When one of the greatest casting directors in New York City tells you to have what it takes to be a great vocal coach, you listen’
‘The best teachers are just the best students’
‘I went into the arts to inspire and to give, with teaching that always happens’
‘I just can’t wait for the next lesson where we see this person’s next link’
Relevant Links & Mentions:
Barry Moss (Casting Director)
Justin’s Mentors: David Jones; Aaron Hagan
Your Voice, an Inside View by Scott Mccoy
Dr Ingo Titze
Youtube (including Voice Lessons to the World & the David Phelps Series): youtube.com/user/NewYorkVocalCoaching
ABOUT THE GUEST
Justin Stoney is the Founder of New York Vocal Coaching, developer of the NYVC Voice Teacher Training Program, and author of the award-winning book Sing Like Never Before.
Justin has taught thousands of singers and voice teachers from around the world. His clients also include Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award-winning, artists. He has been invited as a presenter for lectures and workshops both nationally and internationally for numerous conferences, appeared on multiple media outlets, including NBC, CBS, and ABC, and been featured in multiple publications, including The New York Times, Esquire, and SELF. He is a member of NATS, VIP, PAVA, VASTA, The Voice Foundation, Actors’ Equity, and SAG-AFTRA. Justin also collaborates with leading voice doctors and laryngologists to help bridge the gap between vocal pedagogy and voice medicine.
Justin is devoted to helping all people “Make A Joyful Noise” and passionate about helping Voice Teachers develop their teaching gifts and inspiring them to approach Voice Teaching as a craft and art-form.