Two guests for you today on the show, firstly it’s Kaya Herstad-Carney who is a BAST trainer and educational director for vocology in practice. Our second guest is Claire Cannon, lead vocalist for Flip and Fill and vocal coach specialising in advanced vocal techniques. The pair joined Alexa this week on Singing Teachers Talk to chat about becoming a vocology in practice authorised teacher.
- ViP (Vocology in Practice) is a global network of elite voice professionals, including singing teachers, vocal coaches, songwriters, producers, music industry professionals, speech and language practitioners, ENT’s and laryngologists. They exist as a community committed to continuous professional development, education and networking via in-person training, one on one mentorship, research, educational events, seminars, webinars and articles.
- Their aim is to be at the forefront of vocal health, science and pedagogy in order to provide the best vocal training and 360-degree care for today’s contemporary vocalists.
- ViP has seven principles, those are Artistry, Anatomy & Health, Musicianship, Voice Science, Body & Mind, Vocal Pedagogy, and Business Practices & Personal/Professional Development.
- If you feel like you know more than anyone else in the room, then you should find a different room to be in. Both of our guests Kaya and Claire found it so beneficial to surround yourself with people who know more than you.
‘It’s about having the network of experts to take questions to’
‘If you want to progress and gain more skills and knowledge, you have to be in the room’
‘It’s important to be part of a network which is really passionate’
Relevant Links & Mentions:
- Jono McNeil: jonomcneiled.com
- Wolfgang Saus: oberton.org
- Dr Felix Graham: singwithdrfelix.com
- Lisa Haupert
- Ian Davidson: ianjdavidson.com
- Justin Stoney: justinstoney.com
- (Amber Mogg Cathey) Nashville Vocal Studio: nashvillevocalstudio.com
- Gemma Sugrue: provocalartist.com
- Teach Voice with Chris Johnson: teachvoice.com
- Voice Study Centre: voicestudycentre.com
- Heidi Moss: heidimosserickson.com
- Line Hilton: linehilton.com
- Johan Sundberg
- Get Vocal Now: portal.getvocal-now.com/pages/home
- Kerrie Obert: obertvoicestudios.com
- Songbird Studio: songbirdsf.com
- Kaya’s ViP Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT THE GUESTS
Kaya is a creative with a wide skill set, ranging from powerful performances of her original music, vocal coaching & singing teacher training, artist development & co-writing, artistic direction for Threshold Festival and gig promotion, band & choir direction/arranging, mentoring and community workshops, in addition to her lecturing career across the popular music subjects including voice, songwriting, band skill and music industry studies. Originally from Norway, she made the UK her home in 1999. She is an established artist with a track record of performances at The Royal Variety Show, to the BBC Songwriting Showcase, and touring the UK and Europe.
Kaya has a varied portfolio career and is a passionate singer, songwriter, performer and harmony/vocal fanatic, vocal arranger and producer, festival director, mentor, musical/choir director, vocal geek and senior lecturer with a wide range of experiences and interests on and off the stage. She has a particular love for vocal habilitation and artist development in the Contemporary Commercial field of music including popular music, musical theatre and extreme vocals.
She is the Director of Education for the global vocal organisation Vocology in Practice (ViP), managing the education programme, and is a singing teacher trainer for BAST. Before taking on the course leader role at Water Bear, Kaya was head of vocals at Bårdar Academy and Principal Lecturer of Songwriter at DIME Online, and artist developer and senior lecturer in performance, vocals and songwriting/creative artistry at the Academy of Contemporary Music. She has also written HE module content for RSL (Rockschool) and WaterBear. She taught for seven years at the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts (LIPA) and five years at the University of Chester.
Kaya specialises in singing, songwriting, vocal work, motivation, coordination, networking, vocal arranging and artist development, both as a vocal coach, musical director, mentor and lecturer.
For over a decade Claire has been dedicated to developing voices. Her clients include amateur and professional performers, leading speakers and charting recording artists.
Claire graduated from Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts with a Diploma in song and a Degree in Performing Arts – Music. Since then she has studied vocal science under some of the world’s leading vocal coaches, gaining a Certification in Contemporary Vocal Coaching from The Voice College. She is qualified vocal health first aider and has been involved with BAST since completing the program in 2015. She has become an authorised teacher with Vocology in Practice, a global network of elite voice professionals.
Claire is the lead vocalist for the successful electronic dance group ‘Flip and Fill’ and has worked as a session singer for the past 12 years.
Claire specialises in teaching advanced vocal techniques to both contemporary music artists and musical theatre performers in order to improve vocal function and overall vocal health.